The BJS are seeking applications for two Associate Editors with the BJS, the official journal of the BJS Society. Successful candidates will receive formal training and mentoring in journal activities. After this, and subject to ongoing internal review, it is expected that the successful applicants will be promoted to full editors of BJS.
The international surgical journal with global reach.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the editorial team of the BJS. The ideal candidates will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Completed surgical training to Consultant level
- Broad knowledge of surgical sciences, with particular focus on HPB or colorectal surgery
- Sound scientific judgement
- Awareness of trends within journal publishing and openness to new ideas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. English as a first language is not a requirement, but the successful applicant must be fluent in spoken and written scientific English
The main functions within this role are: managing the peer review process for submitted articles; attendance at monthly editors’ meetings (usually in London); and journal promotion, including active participation on social media.
This role will require a significant time commitment on a weekly basis and will be recompensed accordingly.
Applications should include a curriculum vitae and an accompanying letter outlining the skills, experience and knowledge you would bring to this position.
Please submit your application, no later than 31 March 2019, to: Alison Cherrie, BJS Managing Editor
Candidates will be shortlisted after the closing date, with interviews to be held in London on 7 May 2019. Remote interview via Skype/phone can be arranged if required.