Transanal Total Mesorectal Excision (TaTME) is a novel access technique which has attracted substantial interest amongst colorectal surgeons throughout the world. Suggested benefits include better short- and long-term outcomes for selected patients with mid- and/or low rectal cancer.
The ACPGBI is keen that the introduction of this procedure should be carefully planned and that surgeons should be well trained and confident to optimize patient outcomes. An initial pilot training programme, funded by Applied Medical, ConMed, Lawmed, Stryker, Medtronic and supported by the Oxford Colorectal Cancer Trust (OCCTOPUS), commenced in September 2017.
Clinical Lead: Roel Hompes, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon at Oxford
Educational Lead: Nader Francis, ACPGBI Educational Tutor and Consultant Colorectal Surgeon at Yeovil
Academic Advisor: George Hanna, Professor of Surgical Science, Imperial College London
Five NHS colorectal teams have been selected to undertake this 12-month pilot training programme, which includes:
- Completion of the in-depth modules of the iLapp surgery TATME teaching tool
- Attendance at a cadaveric workshop on 13th-14th October 2017
- Clinical mentorship through the initial cases
- Inclusion of assessment data and clinical outcomes in the TATME registry
- Final objective assessment and sign off for each colorectal team
The following teams have been selected based on previous experience and skill in laparoscopic rectal resection, evidence of appropriate case volume and senior management support at each NHS trust:
- Heartlands Hospital (Lead Surgeon: David McArthur)
- Dorset County Hospital (Lead Surgeon: Anjay Talwar)
- St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals (Lead Surgeon: Michael Chadwick)
- York Teaching Hospital (Lead Surgeon: Dib Bandyopadhyay)
- Derriford Hospital (Lead Surgeon: Mark Coleman)
Each pilot site is making good progress, with some having completed four preceptored cases (April 2018).
For more information, please contact the Project Manager, Dr Fiona Carter, on 03300010849 or Fiona.email@example.com
Follow the initiative on twitter @TATMEtrainingUK
Steering Board: Roel Hompes, Nader Francis, Neil Mortensen, George Hanna, James Wheeler, ACPGBI President, Nick West, TATME Tutors, Marta Penna, Lian Lee, Fiona Carter, Stephanie Wood, Jaap Doeve, John Black, Ivan Theobald, Ben Greaves
TATME Tutors: Roel Hompes, Tony Miles, Henk Wegstapel, Gregg Wynn, Steve Arnold, Danilo Miskovic, Ken Campbell, Janindra Warusavitarne, Mark Katory, Dorin Ziayie, Stephen Dalton